There's an outstanding list of potential physical and psychological effects receiving massage can have. A major portion of massage therapy is eliciting the "relaxation response" from stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system. This is how many of the base effects of massage occur.
Some of the common reasons people seek out massage include, but is not limited to:
- Soothe back/neck pain
- Improve sleep
- Eliminate or reduce the severity/frequency of headaches
- General relaxation
- Treat or prevent chronic or overuse injuries such as arthritis, tendinitis, and carpal tunnel.
- Lower blood pressure
- Improve Range of Motion
The list goes on!
potential effects of massage
- Enhance tissue repair and healthy scar tissue formation
- Improve connective tissue health
- Release adhesions and relieve myofascial trigger points ("knots")
- Promote smooth joint function as well as joint flexibility and range of motion
- Elicit specific and/or general muscle relaxation
- Stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system
- Reduce pain
- Increase local or general circulation and lymph fluid movement
- Improve immune function
- Induce release of endorphins and enkephalins